Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Confessions of a failed domestic goddess

Cooking isn't my thing. I don't like doing it and I'm not good at it. When I'm cooking, the family always knows when dinner's done... when the smoke alarm goes off.

The fact is, I tend to have tunnel vision, seeing only what I'm interested in at the moment. When I'm reading a book the house could fall down around me and I might not notice. My kids have perfected the art of getting my attention, a very loud "Earth to Denise!"

So for 36 years of marriage Dave and I have been going to restaurants. A lot. Not every night, mind you. Way back B.C. (before children) we used to eat out about 4 nights a week. Once the kids came we couldn't do that anymore, so for 20 years or so I managed to slap something on the table most nights.

If that sounds a little haphazard, well, duh! Cooking isn't one of my talents.

Now that the girls are grown and gone, we've kind of worked out a system. Dave and I each manage to make a meal about once a week, and the rest of the time we eat out, order in or have leftovers. Hey, it works for us.

But in the past 36 years I
have managed to find a few, very few, things I'm really good at cooking. Meatloaf is one. And stuffed peppers... ahhh! Made them last night and they were wonderful.

Hey, maybe I'm not such a failure as a domestic goddess after all.

Now if I could just learn to clean.

oOo

Dee's stuffed peppers

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
Salt/pepper/paprika to taste
1-1/2 c. cooked rice
1 lg. jar spaghetti sauce
6 lg. green peppers
A little cheddar cheese, shredded

Brown ground beef, add chopped onions & cook until clear. In a bowl (or right in your fry pan if it's big enough) mix ground beef with rice, add salt/ pepper/ paprika to taste, and stir in about 1 cup of spaghetti sauce.

Cut tops off peppers and clean out insides. Spray a large casserole or baking dish with non-stick spray and spread a small amount of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom. Stand the peppers up in the dish and loosely fill them with the beef mixture. Top with a little cheese if desired and pour the remainder of the spaghetti sauce over the top.

Cover and bake at 375 for about 50 minutes if they're warm, or about 1 hour 15 minutes if they've been refrigerated first.

Six servings of about 400 calories each.

3 comments:

  1. well good. Now I can cross writing a post that almost echoes yours word for word, and simply refer people to YOUR blog when I feel the need to explain my uh,failures....simply change names and other identifying info...
    LOL

    Yep, that recipe sounds just about right...think we may be having stuffed peppers this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my life, if it weren't for shelf stable 90 sec nukers, I wouldn't eat complete meals. How much nuked popcorn and hummus can anyone eat? Hey, it's complete. I bow to the domestic goddess. I can GROW peepers...I'll send them to you to be stuffed. LOL

    Em S. Mann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. C**king?
    AND a c*lorie count?

    Cr*p.

    Now I KNOW aliens have absconded with the Dee I've come to know and love.

    :)

    En O'Eel

    ReplyDelete