Friday, April 17, 2015

West Deptford Eagle!

I've always been interested in birds, but now that I have a new camera I'm taking it to the next level. So I don't lose the history, I'm going to post some of my bird pictures here.

So to begin, here's the juvenile bald eagle I found down on the river at Riverwinds. It was in the inlet just southwest of the Community Center on April 13.

It was a beautiful day, so instead of walking around the track inside, I decided to go outside. I walked along the paved pathway that goes to the south and through the leafless trees saw a bigass bird fly down to the water. There was a fairly steep bank to get down there, but the intrepid explorer *choke* didn't hesitate. Probably pure luck that I didn't fall and break something.


When I first got down to the water, the sun was in my eyes and I couldn't see the bird. Then I walked a little ways and there it was. It was eating something, probably a fish.


I walked along the shore to try to get away from that in-your-face sunshine and got a slightly better picture.


And that's the story of the West Deptford eagle, one of the most exciting bird days of my life.

Photos taken with my pocket camera, Canon PowerShot Elph 530HS, fully zoomed (12x optical). Cropped and photoshopped because of the backlight. And also because I lightened the setting to try to compensate, so all the pictures were too light.