Saturday, December 10, 2011

Guilty pleasures

Why do they make Harlequin romance titles and covers so embarrassing?

Somebody gave me a box of 10-15 year old Harlequins & Silhouettes, and I'm reading them in secret... Oh, well I guess it's not a secret anymore, huh? *blush*

Most of them aren't too bad if you want a quick, easy read with a guaranteed happy ending. But then when I review them on Goodreads, everyone will know what I'm reading.

Is it really humiliating to read light romances? I always thought so, but now I'm not so sure.

Heck, even Nora Roberts, the queen of romance, started out with Silhouette. How bad can that be?

5 comments:

  1. I can't comment on whether or not Harlequin and Silhouette are embarrassing. Hell, I read Mills & Boon (British Harlequin) Regency, I've got hundreds of them, both paperback and ebook.

    Actually, some of them are damn well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a picky, picky so and so when it comes to category romance. I've probably abandoned more than I've finished. the ones I've liked, I've read over and over again. Mainly I prefer my romance snuggled up with something else as well, like suspense. Jenny Crusie is my all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I loathe clinch covers. I won't knowingly buy a book which has one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Clinch covers" is that what we used to call "Bodice Rippers" in the 70s and 80s?

    This is where an ereader comes in handy, no one can see the cover of the book you're reading.

    And I agree, romance is better when snuggled up with something else. At the moment I'm reading about a murder plot at the Congress of Vienna in 1814, lots of spy action, romance, and sex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jan, you're right, it's better on the kindle where nobody can see what you're reading. Too bad somebody didn't give me a box of kindle books... :)

    @Steph, yes, I remember you saying you order books to be delivered to work because you're not home during the week. How humiliating when the mail room opens a package of books with naked, sexy guys on the covers, LOL!

    ReplyDelete