Saturday, May 5, 2018

Corn, Glorious Corn!

Okay, I admit it. I'm a bit of a miser. I hate to see waste. And last week after our church chicken BBQ, there was a whole pan of leftover canned corn.

A whole pan.



I just couldn't bear to see all that good food thrown away, so I brought it home. It's the equivalent of about a case of regular canned corn.

So I immediately began looking for recipes to use up all that corn. It's Cinco de Mayo today, so what could be better?

Molly made a double recipe of Sweet Corn Spoonbread (recipe below), one pan for her book club meeting last night and one pan for the family.


Then I made Fiesta Corn Dip (see below), great with chips!


I've got a recipe for corn fritters that looks awesome, but I'm a bit corned out for today. So we froze the rest of the corn.



Feliz Cinco de Mayo!


Sweet Corn Spoonbread
1-8.5-oz. package JIFFY Corn Muffin Mix
1-15-oz. can creamed corn
1-15-oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375 and spay a 2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, comine ingredients and mix well. Pour into casserole dish. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Recipe from Southern Bite.


Fiesta Corn Dip
8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
3 cups corn (frozen defrosted or canned)
2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped green chiles (small can), drained
1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients. Spread evenly in casserole dish (I used 9x13 size) and bake 45-60 minutes till top is golden. Serve with tortilla chips. Recipe from Hugs and Cookies XOXO.


Buen provecho!