Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Lent Photo-A-Day Challenge, Week 1

On Ash Wednesday someone shared the United Methodist Church's Lenten Photo-A-Day challenge. It came through the "Rethink Church" initiative, which seeks to help us put our beliefs into action. Here's the challenge:


I thought this would be a good exercise of Lenten discipline. Every day I must spend time either taking photos or looking through my collection for something appropriate for the theme. And every day it pushes me to think about my relationship with God.

So here are my photos for the first week of the challenge.

2/10/16: GATHER... Ash Wednesday
Yet even now, says the LORD, return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning... Joel 2:12
2/11/16: VOICE...
O sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth. Psalm 96:1
2/12/16: LOOK...
A large flock of Canada geese looking... for a place to land, for rest, for food. God provides what they need. God will provide for our needs, as well, if we have faith and trust in Him.
2/13/16: INJUSTICE...
So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts its mouth. Job 5:16
On a bitter cold, windy day, I'm lucky to have a warm coat. Not everyone is as blessed.
2/14/16: CELEBRATE... Happy Valentine's Day!
Saint Valentine of Rome was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians, who were persecuted under the Roman Empire. According to legend, during his imprisonment, Saint Valentine healed the daughter of his jailer, and before his execution, he wrote her a letter signed "Your Valentine" as a farewell.
2/15/16: SETTLE...
If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast. Psalm 139:9-10
2/16/16: GO...
Therefore walk in the way of the good, and keep to the paths of the just. Proverbs 2:20
Almost every day I search the hashtag #‎rethinkphoto‬ to see what other are posting. So this year Lent means more to me than just giving up dessert.

What do you think?