Monday, October 10, 2016

Montezuma's Revenge?

Last month Betsy and I went up to visit my sister in the Fingerlakes city of Canandaigua, NY. Deb took us to several wineries and a brewery, fun! And we also took a drive through the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, a marshy area at the northern end of Cayuga Lake. I've often passed by it on the Thruway, but have never had the time to stop.

It was fabulous, and two lifers for me!


Montezuma's revenge was, I didn't take my big fancy camera on the trip. So two of the pictures below were taken by my sister with her Nikon, good camera but no giant telephoto like I have. The other two were taken by me using a pocket camera.

But still, lifer birds! Awesome!

American Coots! Only the second time I've ever seen them though I know they're seen around South Jersey sometimes. 

Lifer #1. Common Gallinule, formerly known as Common Moorhen. There were quite a large number of them at Montezuma. They looked drab from a distance, but zooming in you can see how beautiful they are.

Double-crested Cormorant, quite common around our shore area, but a nice close view in a typical pose, drying its wings after diving for dinner.

Lifer #2, Pied-billed Grebe. Really cute little guy!
So there you have it, Montezuma!